The Scientific Secrets of Happiness
with Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson
Did you ever work hard to make something happen – to reach a goal you really wanted to achieve – only to find that it didn’t bring you the happiness you thought it would?
Did you ever notice how so many “successful people” seem so anxious, or downright miserable?
The truth is, success only brings you lasting happiness and authentic well-being when you pursue certain kinds of goals – the ones that satisfy your basic needs as a human being. Too many of the goals we pursue each day don’t actually satisfy our needs, and leave us too preoccupied and distracted to ever be truly happy.
In this course, we’ll talk about what scientific psychologists have discovered about the true nature of happiness and well-being. We’ll focus on how you can make simple, straightforward changes in how you live your life, and how you think about your goals, to start getting happier right now. This is Happiness with a capital H, and it’s time to get yours.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who feels like they could use a little more happiness in their lives, and would like some specific strategies for how to do it.
What You'll Learn
Week 1: The Goals That Make You Happy & The Ones You Should Avoid
- Our basic human needs
- Belonging, Competence, Autonomy
- Extrinsic goals
- Contingent self-worth
Week 2: Mindsets – Thinking About Our Goals In A Better Way
- Being Good vs. Getting Better
- Beliefs about your ability
- Who is in control?
Week 3: Effectiveness is Key
- Happiness is much more than good mood
- The need to feel effective
- How to feel effective by working with your motivational focus
- Promotion and prevention focus
Week 4: Well-Being Exercises That Really Work
- Self-Affirmation & Strengths
- Reciprocity and Self-Fulfilling Prophecies
- Attributional Retraining (i.e., Learning To Think Differently About Failure)
Dates & Tuition
Time and Date: This class is available for immediate download!
(If cash is tight, we offer a "Pick Your Price" model where you can choose to pay $100/$75/$50.)
What You’ll Get Out of the Course
- You’ll learn why your successes haven’t always made you happy, and why happiness can so quickly fade.
- You’ll learn about the kinds of goals that will bring you lasting happiness, even while you are pursuing them.
- You’ll learn how happiness is about so much more than good mood, and how true happiness can come from very surprising places.
- You’ll learn a series of scientifically-tested exercises you can perform to start increasing your happiness right now.
Textbook for the Course
About Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson
Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson is a motivational psychologist, speaker, and author. She serves on the Board of Advisors at Columbia University’s Motivation Science Center, and is a popular blogger for Harvard Business Review, Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and Fast Company, writing about how people can use the findings from the science of motivation in their own lives. Her research on goals and well-being has been published in some of the field’s most prestigious journals, and she was the co-author and editor of the highly acclaimed academic handbook The Psychology of Goals.
You can find out more about Heidi on her website: www.heidigranthalvorson.com
Praise for Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson
“Heidi Grant Halvorson knows just about everything there is to know about setting goals and reaching them. In Succeed, she shares this knowledge with you. She takes all the latest research in psychology, distills it to its essence, and makes it practical.”
Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson is a motivational psychologist, speaker, author of SUCCEED: How We Can Reach Our Goals, blogger for Huff Post, Harvard Business Review, Fast Company, SmartBrief, and Psychology Today. Learn more about Dr. Heidi Grant »