with Michael Gelb
In the last 30 years the scientific evidence supporting the notion that your mind can improve through the years has become overwhelming. Clearly, the question is no longer whether your mind can improve with age, but rather how you can optimize your mental powers as you get older.
This program presents practical, evidence-based information on improving your mind throughout life. Most of us were raised with faulty ideas about our mental capacity – such as the notion that IQ is fixed at age 5, that brain cells degrade yearly after age 30, and that memory and learning ability inevitably decline with age.
These notions, based on the scientific understanding that was prevalent in the 1950s, are myths – dangerous myths that can stifle our ability to flourish in the second half of life.
Just as Copernicus overturned the myth that the earth was at the center of the universe, so contemporary neuroscience has revolutionized our understanding of the potential to improve mental functioning as we age.
We now know the following:
- Our mental abilities, including memory, are designed to improve throughout life. Neuroscientists call this Neuroplasticity. (Neuro refers to “neuron,” aka “nerve cells,” and plasticity means “changeable, malleable.”)
- Although some brain cells die as we age, we can generate new cells.
- Neuroscientists call this Neurogenesis. (Your neuronal endowment is so great that even if you lost 1,000 brain cells every day for the rest of your life it would still be less than 1% of your total. Of course, it’s important not to lose the 1% that you actually use!)
- The brain is not, as was once thought, a compartmentalized, hardwired static machine whose parts eventually wear out. Instead, it is a highly adaptable and dynamic organ, capable of generating new neurons, and changing and evolving as we get older.
- People of average intelligence can, with appropriate training, raise I.Q., improve memory, and sharpen intelligence throughout life.
In this compelling, inspirational and supremely practical 4-week program you’ll be presented with the evidence for this new paradigm and, most importantly, you will learn to incorporate this new way of understanding aging so you can improve your mind every year of your life.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with a brain who is aging.
What You'll Learn
Week 1 - Intro to The New Paradigm + Think Counterclockwise
- The New Paradigm: A Whole New Brain
- Think Counterclockwise: Adopting the Most Adaptive Attitudes
Week 2 - Be a Life-Long Learner + Exercise for More Brain Power
- Be a Life-Long Learner: How to Improve Your Memory and Learning Ability
- Exercise for More Brain Power: The Most Beneficial Activities
Week 3 - Mind Your Diet, Your Environment + Your Social Wealth
- Mind Your Diet to Nourish Your Mind: 7 Simple Elements of a Brain-Friendly Diet
- How to Create a Brain-Enhancing Environment
- Sleep, Naps and Meditation: Rest Peacefully to Delay Resting in Peace
- Investing in Your Social Wealth: Cultivate Healthy Relationships (and Stay Sexy!)
Week 4 - Conclusion + Applied Neuroplasticity
- Applied Neuroplasticity: The Brain That Changes Itself
- Conclusion: Bringing it all together so we can go out and get our brain power on!
Dates & Tuition
Date & Time: This course is available now for immediate download!
(If cash is tight, we offer a "Pick Your Price" model where you can choose to pay $100/$75/$50. )
Textbook for the Course
About Michael Gelb
Michael J. Gelb, is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Raytheon and YPO. He brings more than 30 years of experience as a professional speaker, seminar leader and organizational consultant to his diverse, international clientele.
Michael Gelb is the author of 12 books on creativity and innovation including the international best seller How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day. (1998) How to Think Like Leonardo has been translated into 25 languages and has appeared on the Washington Post, Amazon.com, and the New York Times best seller lists.
In 2007 Gelb released Innovate Like Edison: The Five Step System for Breakthrough Business Success, co-authored with Sarah Miller Caldicott, the great grand niece of Thomas Edison. As Professor Vijay Govindarajan, author of Ten Rules for Strategic Innovators noted, “This book is a must have for anyone who wants to turn creative ideas into profitable reality.”
In 1999, Michael Gelb won the Brain Trust Charity’s “Brain of the Year” award; others honorees include Prof. Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, Garry Kasparov and Gene Rodenberry. In 2003, Michael was awarded a Batten Fellowship by the University of Virginia’s Darden Graduate School of Business. Michael co-directs the acclaimed Leading Innovation Seminar at Darden with Professor James Clawson. Michael Gelb also serves as the Director of Creativity and Innovation Leadership for the Conscious Capitalism Institute.
A former professional juggler who once performed with the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, Gelb introduced the idea of teaching juggling as a means to promote accelerated learning and team-building. He is the author of The 5 Keys to High Performance: Juggling Your Way to Success. A fourth degree black belt in the Japanese martial art of Aikido, Gelb is co-author with International Grandmaster Raymond Keene, of Samurai Chess: Mastering Strategic Thinking Through the Martial Art of the Mind. Michael Gelb is also a certified teacher of the Alexander Technique, (the method taught at The Julliard School for cultivating commanding stage presence), and the author of the classic work: Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique. Michael’s 1988 release Present Yourself! Captivate Your Audience with Great Presentation Skills guides readers to develop the communication strategies they need to generate support for their innovative ideas.
Michael has also created many best selling audio programs, include: Mind Mapping: How to Liberate Your Natural Genius, Work Like Da Vinci: Gaining the Creative Advantage in Your Business and Career and The Spirit of Leonardo.
Michael Gelb’s passion for applying genius thinking to personal and organizational development is also expressed in his Harper Collins release (2002) Discover Your Genius: How To Think Like History’s Ten Most Revolutionary Minds.
One of his most recent book is Wine Drinking For Inspired Thinking: Uncork Your Creative Juices, offers a unique, original and very enjoyable approach to team building.
His newest book, to be published in January 2012 by New World Library, is Brain Power: Improve Your Mind As You Age.
Praise for Michael Gelb
"This wonderful book offers everything you need to know to improve your mind as you age. The latest science combined with a user-friendly, highly entertaining presentation makes this book a winner. Highly recommended!!"
— Hyla Cass, M.D., author, 8 Weeks to Vibrant Health
"You will find, on every page, useful and intriguing knowledge, resources, practices, exercises and technologies to unleash your Brain Power and improve your mind as you age. Buy it, read it, live it!"
— Tony Buzan, author, Use Both Sides of Your Brain
“In a field cluttered with misinformation, Michael Gelb is an authentic source of practical wisdom for those who seek to develop their creative powers.”
— Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Laureate, Physics
Michael J. Gelb is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership and author of the bestselling How To Think Like Leonardo da Vinci. Learn more about Michael »